The American Osteopathic Board of Neurology and Psychiatry administers primary and subspecialty certification exams, as well as Osteopathic Continuous Certification requirements. The following stages represent key milestones in the process to obtain primary board certification in Psychiatry.
1. In order to take the Psychiatry Written Exam, applicants must have satisfactorily completed Psychiatry or Child Psychiatry residency program training, or be within six months of satisfactorily completing such a program (requires letter from Program Director).
2. The Psychiatry Written Exam is offered once a year at Pearson Vue. The application period usually opens in September.
Become Board Certified
3. Upon successful completion of all exam components, the AOBNP will recommend osteopathic board certification to the AOA.
4. You will receive a letter from the AOA via email once certification has been approved.
5. You are now board certified. You will receive your certification in the mail within 90 days upon notification of approval. You’ll also receive an email explaining how to access your Certified Electronic Certificate.
6. Your primary certification in Psychiatry will remain active for 10 years following date of issue provided you successfully complete Osteopathic Continuous Certification requirements.
Osteopathic Continuous Certification
7. Maintain active licensure.
8. Participate in lifelong learning and continuing medical education.
9. Complete the cognitive assessment.
10. Complete the practice performance assessment.