The American Osteopathic Board of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (AOBOO-HNS) administers primary certification exams, subspecialty certification exams, and Osteopathic Continuous Certification requirements. The following stages represent key milestones in the process to obtain primary board certification in Otolaryngology/Facial Plastic Surgery.
1. In order to take the Otolaryngology/Facial Plastic Surgery Written Exam, applicants must have completed or be in the senior year of an AOA-approved residency in otolaryngology/Facial Plastic Surgery.
2. The Written Exam is offered twice per year, generally every spring with only retakes offered in the fall. The application period opens in the fall, and applications are due in March.
3. The Otolaryngology/Facial Plastic Surgery Oral Exam is offered once each year, generally every spring. The application period opens in the fall and applications are due in mid February.
Become Board Certified
4. Upon successful completion of all exam components, the AOBOO-HNS will recommend osteopathic board certification to the AOA.
5. You will receive a letter from the AOA via email once certification has been approved.
6. You are now board certified. You will receive your certification in the mail within 90 days.
7. Your primary certification in Otolaryngology/Facial Plastic Surgery will remain active for 10 years following date of issue provided you successfully complete Osteopathic Continuous Certification requirements.
Osteopathic Continuous Certification
8. Maintain active licensure.
9. Participate in lifelong learning and continuing medical education.
10. Complete the cognitive assessment.
11. Complete the practice performance assessment.