The American Osteopathic Conjoint Sports Medicine Examination Committee administers the Sports Medicine subspecialty/certificate of added qualifications (CAQ) exam, as well as Osteopathic Continuous Certification requirements. The following stages represent key milestones in the AOCSMEC process for subspecialty certification in Sports Medicine.
1. Complete the AOCSMEC eligibility requirements to sit for the Written Exam.
2. Submit an exam application.
3. Take the Written Exam, offered every spring.
Become Board Certified
4. Upon successful completion of all exam components, the AOCSMEC will recommend candidates to the AOA for osteopathic board certification.
5. You will receive a letter from the AOA once your certification has been approved.
6. You are now board certified. Your certificate will arrive in the mail in 6-10 weeks.
7. Your certification in Sports Medicine will remain active for 10 years following date of issue.
Osteopathic Continuous Certification
8. Maintain active licensure.
9. Participate in lifelong learning and continuing medical education.
10. Complete the cognitive assessment.
11. Complete the practice performance assessment.
12. Maintain membership in the American Osteopathic Association.