The American Osteopathic Conjoint Undersea & Hyperbaric Medicine Examination Committee administers the Undersea & Hyperbaric Medicine subspecialty exam, as well as Osteopathic Continuous Certification requirements. The following stages represent key milestones in the process to obtain subspecialty board certification in Underse & Hyperbaric Medicine.
1. In order to take the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Written Exam, applicants must have satisfactorily completed a one-year AOA- or ACGME-approved hyperbaric medicine fellowship.
2. The Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Written Exam is offered every spring in conjunction with the American Osteopathic Board of Preventive Medicine exams. The application period opens in the fall, and applications are due Dec. 1.
Become Board Certified
3. Upon successful completion of all exam components, the conjoint examination committee will recommend osteopathic board certification to the AOA.
4. You will receive a letter from the AOA via email once certification has been approved.
5. You are now board certified. You will receive your certification in the mail within 10-12 weeks upon notification of approval.
6. Your subspecialty certification in Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine will remain active for 10 years following date of issue provided you successfully complete Osteopathic Continuous Certification requirements.
Osteopathic Continuous Certification
7. Maintain active licensure.
8. Participate in lifelong learning and continuing medical education.
9. Complete the cognitive assessment.
10. Complete the practice performance assessment.