The American Osteopathic Board of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation administers primary certification exams and Osteopathic Continuous Certification requirements. The following stages represent key milestones in the process to obtain primary board certification in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation.
1. In order to take the Written Exam, applicants must have satisfactorily completed a physical medicine and rehabilitation residency training program.
2. The Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation written exams are held in the spring and fall.
Become Board Certified
4. Upon successful completion of all exam components, the AOBPMR will recommend osteopathic board certification to the AOA.
5. You will receive a letter from the AOA via email once certification has been approved.
6. You are now board certified. You will receive your certification in the mail within 90 days upon notification of approval. You’ll also receive an email explaining how to access your Certified Electronic Certificate.
7. Your primary certification in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation will remain active for 10 years following date of issue provided you successfully complete Osteopathic Continuous Certification requirements.
Osteopathic Continuous Certification
8. Maintain active licensure.
9. Participate in lifelong learning and continuing medical education.
10. Complete the cognitive assessment module.
11. Complete the practice performance assessment.
12. Maintain membership in the American Osteopathic Association.