To be eligible for the physical medicine and rehabilitation oral exam, candidates must meet the criteria below:
- Successfully completed the physical medicine & rehabilitation written exam within the previous six years.
- Must meet all the requirements for the written exam.
- Must have completed at least one year of full-time practice as a physiatrist or completed an additional year of training.
At the time of application, you must submit the following to the AOBPMR:
- Completed, signed online application.
- All required fees.
- Current CV/resume.
- One passport-sized headshot photo
- Three letters of reference from a physician familiar with the applicant’s clinical practice. Letters must be submitted directly to the AOBPMR.
Once a candidate has successfully passed the written exam, he or she may apply for the oral exam. An exam fee of $750 (to be determined yearly) must be submitted with the completed application. No application will be considered complete until all fees have been paid.
All fees are non-refundable. Candidates cancelling their exams more than three weeks prior to the exam may take the exam at a future date for a re-scheduling fee. Candidates cancelling their exams less than three weeks prior to the exam date may take the exam at a future date for a rescheduling fee.
Exam Dates and Deadlines
The physical medicine & rehabilitation oral exam is offered once per year in the fall.
The exam is split into three 45-minute sessions where candidates will meet with examiners. Each examiner will ask three questions. An oral exam observer will also be in the room.
The nine total questions will be randomly selected from the 12 topics listed below:
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Musculoskeletal Disorders
- Sports Medicine
- Brain Injuries including stroke
- Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment (OMT)
- Joint Connective Tissue
- Neuromuscular Disorders