To be eligible for the Part 1 (Written) exam for initial certification in physical medicine and rehabilitation, candidates must meet the criteria below:
- Be a graduate of a COCA-accredited college of osteopathic medicine.
- Satisfactorily complete a one-year internship in an AOA approved training program.
- Have graduated from an AOA-approved or ACGME accredited residency in physical medicine and rehabilitation or is within 3 months of residency completion by the time the examination is administered. (Residency status must be verified).
- DOs who completed an ACGME residency may pursue AOBPMR certification if their training has received AOA approval.
- Adhere to the AOA Code of Ethics.
At the time of application, you must submit the following to the AOBPMR:
- Completed, signed online application.
- All required fees and documentation.
- Program Director Report to confirm residency.
- Third-year AOBPMR residents may be eligible to take the board examination prior to the full completion of their residency training. To be eligible, the resident must be within three (3) months of program completion by the time the examination is administered.
An application fee of $750 must be submitted with your completed application. The fee increases to $975 if received after the initial application deadline. No application will be accepted after the final application deadline.
Exam candidates may elect to cancel their exam by submitting a reason for cancellation to firstname.lastname@example.org. If the request is approved, exam fees will be refunded according to below:
- Cancellations more than 14 days prior to the exam day will be assessed a $100 fee.
- Cancellations within 14 days of the exam day will be assessed a $200 fee.
Note: The AOBPMR will evaluate cancellation requests on a case-by-case basis. All fees are subject to change.
Exam Dates and Deadlines
The Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Written Exam is offered twice each year, generally every spring and fall. Applications for the exams are due six weeks prior to the exam.
Exam Content Outline
The initial AOBPMR certification exam consists of 100 multiple-choice questions. Candidates have four hours to complete the exam.
|Rehabilitation of Brain, Spinal Cord/Muscle, and Connective Tissue Disorders||27% – 31%|
|Interventional Therapeutics: Spine and Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment and Pain||25% – 29%|
|Prosthetics, Orthotics, Sports Medicine, Orthopedic disorders, MSK disorders, Occupational-Industrial, Return to Work and Assistive Devices||24% – 28%|
|Special Populations||16% – 20%|