1. . In order to take the Gastroenterology Written Exam, applicants must be AOA board-certified internal medicine specialists who have completed three years of an AOA-recognized fellowship program in Gastroenterology.
2. The Gastroenterology Written Exam is offered in August. The application period for the Written Exam opens the previous December.
Become Board Certified
3. Upon successful completion of all exam components, the AOBIM will recommend osteopathic subspecialty board certification to the AOA.
4. You will receive notification from the AOA via email once certification has been approved. Expect to receive your certificate in the mail within six weeks of notification of approval.
5. Your subspecialty certification in Gastroenterology will remain active for 10 years following date of issue provided you successfully complete Osteopathic Continuous Certification requirements.
Osteopathic Continuous Certification
6. Maintain active licensure.
7. Participate in lifelong learning and continuing medical education.
8. Complete the cognitive assessment.
9. Complete the practice performance assessment (required for physicians holding certificates that expire in 2019 or later).