Early Entry Initial Certification OMT Performance Exam
NOTE: Residents completing programs on or after June 30, 2020 may opt out of the OMT Performance Exam and become board-certified in Osteopathic Family Medicine only. If you select this option, you may complete the OMT Performance Exam at any point in your career to become certified in Osteopathic Family Medicine/OMT.
To be eligible for the Early Entry Initial Certification OMT Performance Exam, you must meet one of the following criteria:
- You are a DO Family Medicine resident.
- You are an MD Family Medicine resident in an ACGME program with osteopathic recognition.
- You are an MD Family Medicine resident who has completed 50 hours of OMT/OPP training during residency.
The following criteria must also be met:
- You must have completed two AOBFP In-Service Exams (ISE or ISE+) during residency.
- You must have completed the Early Entry Initial Certification Written (Cognitive) Exam.
Once eligibility requirements are met, you must submit the following:
- A completed application
- Required fees
- Verification of 36 months of Family Medicine training with a completion date no later than 8/1/20
- Verification that you completed two AOBFP In-Service Exams during your residency program
- Signed and dated Statement of Understanding for Issuance of Certification
- MDs in Family Medicine residency programs without osteopathic recognition: Documentation of 50 hours of OMT/OPP training during residency
An exam fee of $500 must be submitted with your completed application. No application will be considered complete until all fees have been paid. Non-refundable late fees must be submitted with application based on published submission deadlines. A cancellation processing fee will be assessed once an application has been submitted. All cancellations must be submitted in writing.
Exam Dates and Deadlines
The Family Medicine OMT Performance Exam is offered twice yearly at conference sites, in spring at the annual ACOFP conference and in the fall at the OMED conference. The application period opens 6-8 months prior to the exam administration date. A letter confirming eligibility and the exam schedule is provided to the applicant via U.S. mail within four weeks upon full processing of the application. Specific time assignments are supplied 4-6 weeks prior to the exam date.
The Spring 2020 Early Entry Initial Certification OMT Performance Exam will be offered March 18-19, 2020 in New Orleans, LA.
The OMT Performance exam requires the candidate to diagnose and demonstrate an appropriate technique for each of three cases representing the areas of spine, extremities, and systemic diseases.
The criteria used for scoring includes diagnosis, identification of landmarks appropriate to the technique, implementation and demonstration of appropriate technique, ability to discuss each technique, and professionalism. A passing score must be obtained on two of the three cases.
An opportunity to retake is offered during the same exam administration either later in the day or on another consecutive day of testing. In the event of a failure on the second exam attempt within that session, the candidate will be required to document completion of a CME review course in osteopathic principles and techniques before retaking the OMT Performance Exam at a future date.